In August of 2014, my husband and I began to pray for God to show us how we could serve our community (and the world) in a greater capacity. As active members of our church, we enjoy serving, but felt as if there was something missing. Following a significant amount of prayer, we felt the Lord break our hearts for the orphans of the world. We currently have five children so the truth is, many people didn’t understand why we’d want more. But it boils down to this—when Jesus calls us to follow Him, it can oftentimes have radical implications for our lives. Isaiah 1:17 says:
Learn to do good; seek justice; rebuke the oppressor; defend the orphan; plead for the widow.
While we understand that not everyone is called to adopt, it is unquestionably our calling.
Many people have asked how they can help. The cost for adoption is overwhelming in the natural, but we know that with God, all things are possible. He has placed us within an incredibly generous community and we are humbled with the amount of support we’ve received already. We will be holding several fundraisers in the coming months, so your participation in those would be tremendous. For those who live far away, we’ve also made it easy with a donate button here on this page that goes directly into a separate bank account that has been opened specifically for the adoption funds. You can read more about how your donations will be utilized at the bottom of this post.
Most importantly, our family needs your prayers. Adopting is a lengthy, and sometimes grueling process. We covet your prayers as we continue on our journey toward bringing our baby home!
We will also be updating this page regularly with our timeline so that you can follow along on our adoption journey. We will be fundraising 100% of the cost of our adoption, so if you feel led to give, we thank you with humble hearts. God’s heart is for the orphan and we pray that as you give, you will be blessed one hundred-fold.
adoption fund fine print
- Money donated through our PayPal account (the “Donate” buttons on our blog) is subject to a PayPal fee of 2.9% + $0.30 for each transaction if paid by credit card. This means that if you donate $10 to our adoption fund, we only see $9.41 of it (or if you donate $100, we only see $96.80). We feel these fees are totally worth the ease, security and accessibility that PayPal offers, but we want you to know that a portion of your donation will go toward these fees. If you have a PayPal balance or a bank account set up on your PayPal account, these fees can be avoided. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
- Your donation will not be tax deductible. Oh, how we wish it could be, but the time and cost associated with becoming an eligible non-profit is simply not within our means. Read more about tax deductible donations here andhere. If you have other questions, contact your accountant – he or she is probably much smarter than we are!
- We have set up a separate bank account specifically for our adoption donations. We want to be sure there is no confusion between our day-to-day money and the money you have given us specifically to fund our adoption. Our PayPal account is linked to this bank account and any other donations will also be deposited directly into this account.
- Should we find ourselves unable to proceed with our adoption at any point (an unexpected pregnancy or an unforeseen hitch in the process that is out of our control, etc), we will donate any money in our adoption fund to help another family’s adoption. We want you to know that the money in our adoption fund will be put toward the cause of “making a way” for an orphan to have a family no matter what.
- Should you ever want to know details of the costs associated with adoption, please do not hesitate to ask. We promise to keep excellent track of every penny spent in this process so that we can be responsible for your generosity.